Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Rain....and Typhoons....I guess they kinda go together...
Well, it's raining, again. The funny thing is that it only seems to rain when I have to leave to take Sam to school and when I have to leave to pick him up from school. In between those times, not a drop of rain. Yesterday Juanpablo had to run to get the car for us because it was raining so hard. And of course, by the time he got to the front of the building with the car the rain had all but stopped. It keeps happening that way. Poor Juanpablo, he gets soaked and then the rain stops. It's almost like the rain has it out for him and him alone. hahaha. Just kidding of course. But it is kinda weird. The typhoon that was supposed to hit us earlier this week ended up changing course and so it missed us and all we got was a little bit of rain. Well, it went well past us and then decided that it did want to hit Okinawa after all! Can you believe it! It went up and then it turned around and is heading for us again! That is where all this rain that we are getting is coming from. But, thankfully, they think that it will only be a tropical storm when it hits us, and not the category 4 typhoon it was when it was supposed to hit us the first time. For those of you who don't know what a typhoon is exactly I'll explain. I didn't know either because it just sounded like a hurricane to me from what everyone was telling me. So, I looked it up. A typhoon is a hurricane. It just depends on what side of the International Date Line you are on. On this side it is called a typhoon, on the other side, where you guys are, it is called a hurricane. Once we learned that we weren't so scared. We knew what to expect. We have been through hurricanes when we lived in North Carolina. And Juanpablo was in Miami during hurricane Andrew and I don't know how many others. It also helps that our building is made out of concrete! It makes us feel much more protected! Happily, we only have 2 more months of typhoon season and then we shouldn't have to worry until next May! The funny thing is that with all this rain you would imagine that the exchange (like a military department store) would have rain gear, rain coats, ponchos, something. All they have are umbrellas. I couldn't find a single kids umbrella or rain coat. And everything they have here is super expensive as the exchanges are geared more towards the higher paid officers than the lower paid enlisted guys and gals. You'd think here, where we don't really have a lot of options, they would be more reasonable...but no, they aren't. Today Bella and I are gonna go to the Air Force base and see if they have rain gear for kids. If we can't find anything then we are gonna have to go off base and hope for the best. I'll probably wait for Juanpablo to get home though, he has been learning Japanese from a lady that works in the same building as him. He's getting pretty good! So, I'll let him do all the talking! Raining again now. Rain, Rain go away....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment